Thursday, July 18

Some stuff I've tried

Stuff I've tried:

Crockpot Pineapple and Mandarin Chicken Recipe
T loved it. Ezra eschewed it. Iris wasn't sure about tackling chicken. I didn't care for it. It was too sweet and too salty for me, even combined with the rice. But T plowed through two servings and the leftovers. I'd make it again for him because it was easy to throw together. 

Crockpot Mac and Cheese
This recipe kind of brought its A-game from Motownphilly and back again (name that song). Holy hell was it good. Normally, I get a bit peevish if I have to boil/brown something in advance or if the crockpot recipe takes less than 8 hours. Reasons being that I want to toss everything in at 8:00am on a weekday, say "See ya when I see ya!," and come home at 5:40pm ready to eat. But feeling magnanimous one Sunday morning, I went there. 

Two things about the recipe: I halved the cheese amounts and it was PLENTY CHEESY. I mean, yeah. Lots of cheese with just that and I don't dick around when it comes to cheese amounts. Trust me. 

The other thing is that I sprinkled italian bread crumbs on the top and that was a winner. Added some extra taste that I was fond of.

Ezra and I ate this like someone was going to take it away from us. Iris adored it (look at me mentioning her eating food...this never gets old...). T had some but is moderate with his cheese consumption. Pfft. The leftovers were even delightful.

Pantene Overnight Miracle Repair Serum
I slapped this on my Amazon Wish List after seeing it mentioned in my Allure magazine awhile ago, and ordered it this week after finding out I had an Amazon credit. DING! (I'm not entirely sure where the credit came from, but I spent it fast before Amazon could take it back.) (So there.)

It comes in a pretty large container and it recommends one to two pumps (although, I always over apply, so I did three last night) and put it in your hair and then go to bed. Or go to bed and eat Ritz Crackers and drink chocolate milk like I sometimes do. 

It made my hair mildly stiff, but I will gladly take that over oily or slippery which is what I was worried would happen.

I used it Tuesday night and on Wednesday noticed no difference in my hair. Still some fly-aways after roundbrushing and flat ironing, but this could be because I used the jenky hair conditioner at the gym and it is no bueno.

This morning--after a second night of serum-ing it up and using my usual hair conditioner--my blow dried hair looked so much better and overall my hair looks smoother and happier and swingier.

So maybe it works and maybe it doesn't, but I figure today was a good day so I'll recommend it.

Overnight Miracle Repair Serum
























CoverGirl Flamed Out Mascara
I love a good mascara like I love my children, so I was down with trying this new one (again ordered from Amazon with the credit I discovered). And as I told my friend Amy on Twitter: If it doesn't deliver tranny lashes, then its dead to me.

Simply put: I don't like it. The formula is wimpy and rather thin. I ordered the waterproof version as those usually hold a curled lash better, but the curl still fell. I usually curl, apply a coat of mascara, let it dry, curl again, apply a second coat (years ago I read somewhere that J. Lo does this and so I started doing it and while it pains me greatly to admit that, it makes for some great lashes) and still even after all that, it couldn't deliver. My lashes were neither flamed out nor ignited. 

Thumbs down.

Flamed Out Mascara



Wracking my brain to see if there is anything else I'm digging...


Threshold Natural Wood Key
I'm thinking of buying this this weekend for one of our back entryways. We have a "mud room" and a door to go outside and then a second door that goes into our garage. The small hallway and its wall near the door into the garage needs something. The bathroom is right off that hallway and the nakey wall bothers me (I do not like bare walls).

I would hang it horizontally, and its natural wood would match a natural wood-framed mirror that's around the corner. 



Threshold™ Natural Wood Key






P.S. This just occurred to me to mention, but these "stuff I've tried" posts are never sponsored or affiliate linked or any of that nonsense. I never thought to say that, but there it is. 



5 comments:

Hillary said...

I read the first heading as "Crackpot" etc. Kind of fitting, given your review.

LizScott said...

"I love a good mascara like I love my children"

haaaaaaaaaaa oh god. I love you.

Erica said...

I don't have a crockpot so I get left out on some of these recipes. I don't know why I am hesitant to buy one. I think it's because uri and I once lived in a 750 sq ft apt and I still feel weird about acquiring kitchen appliances.
The Mac n cheese sounds so good to me right now.

Babs said...

The mac and cheese is pretty much how I make my make and cheese. I use evaporated milk instead of regular and I quit using velveeta after I didn't have any one day and I don't really miss it.

I think my mac and cheese is the bomb!

MFA Mama said...

Now I have Boyz II Men stuck in my head on repeat. So thanks for that :P